Magical: The internet is such a wonderfully magical place...but a little scary at the same time. As I sit here blogging, I am listening to internet radio out of Palm Springs, California. Ronny is playing baseball there today and they are broadcasting it over the internet. It is very cool to think that he is there pitching and I am here cleaning but I get to be a part of his game...even if in a small way. Here is what I have learned that I don't like about internet baseball....when I go to a game to watch Ronny play, I am there...there are no interruptions. Today, as I tried to listen to the game, I had to stop and take one kid to a meeting...missed a whole inning....then I had to stop take another kid to drama practice, missed part of another inning - of course, it was the part where Ronny was pitching.....then had to pick up someone...missed another part of an inning. When I am there....no risk of having to multitask and miss something. But, at least I get to be a little part of what is going on.
Scary: The internet is very scary. I just tried the facebook thing...I am researching some for my kids who think facebook is so very cool. I have nothing to compare it to....only info that is actually on the internet and what I hear. I heard that one 14 year old girl got some pictures taken off her facebook page...and that she is still on facebook. I would have freaked out and taken my kids off....but all who know me, know that I am a whack-a-doo when it comes to keeping my kids safe. Then I heard that someone had some credit card/personal information taken....but people kept telling me....it's okay, it's safe. So, I signed up to see what would happen. Now I think that I have all the safety things in place, but in less than 48 hours I was able to contact and become friends with a ton of people. Now, it's addictive....as I was finding people I knew, it was exciting to see someone else from my past that I had not seen or heard from in a while. But man, a ton of people were instantly able to find me as well. I was not sure how this happened. Were they waiting for me to get a facebook (ha ha...I think not)? I guess I just don't have a good grasp on this thing. Then, when I sign on to look at my facebook page, there are tons of comments that are completely unrelated to me and I have no idea what they are referencing...because they are meant for someone else. But then why are they on my page? It's okay...just confusing. Then I was invited to be a part of a group...which I joined. I see why people want to see what's going on with their facebook page...but I'm not sure I get it yet. We'll see. I see lots of very young people being a part of this networking thing...it looks like anybody can see their picture (no matter what the safety settings are)...and I wonder: "Do their parents know?" "Who can see them?" I don't know...I guess all new things that can be really good and beneficial...can have some hazards to them. Don't know if I'll let Ally do the facebook thing or not....don't feel good about it yet. I have learned the hard way to listen to my gut instinct with parenting...this is the one area where I think I know the Holy Spirit's voice. There is just something about that "feeling" that mom's know about....it has some serious value. Until I figure this all out, I guess I'll just keep checking in occasionally and see who "writes on my wall?"
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey...
Just wanted to say, facebook is a scary place... I've seen a lot of weird things and questionable loop holes in the system...
BE CAREFUL!!!
-Josh
Post a Comment