Okay, I know I just posted but I really wanted to share something about parenting. First of all, I am NOT a parenting expert...just someone who has watched people in both good and bad extremes with parenting. I love my kids...I have made so many mistakes it's not even funny...but I wanted to share a few things I have learned over the years......but only one at a time.
Tip of the day: Don't say this phrase, "If you do that one more time, I'm going to...." Making rules is part of parenting...so my advice is to make a rule, decide on a consequence for breaking the rule...and then discuss it with your child. Then, if your child breaks the rules.....give the consequence....NO MATTER WHAT. It's hard....sometimes frustrating...sometimes we are tired and don't want to mess with it...but I promise it works. No matter the age....toddler to teens.
If you say to the child....."If you do that one more time..." it's the same as saying "Ally, I know we decided that jumping on the couch was not allowed....and I even told you that....and I even told you I would spank you if you did it (or time out or whatever).....but I'm going to let you have this one chance to disobey me without consequence. And then if you break the rule twice I'll address it. It's crazy to me! It does not make sense. I know I am a freak.....but I witnessed this incident this week with a mom and it's whacky.
I believe in teaching grace...I do...but we are to teach obedience. This is our God given responsiblity. Being a child of parents is the first opportunity to learn submission and obedience. How will they be able to submit to God as an adult when He asks them to do something hard or uncomfortable if we don't teach them that obedience and submission is important and valuable to God. If they can't obey the policy to make their bed every day....I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I think you are right on! And I am probably the parent that you witnessed not following through. I've been really convicted of this lately. Ava can be such a challenge sometimes and there have been a few days (ones where I decided that I would follow through every time) where I felt like I spanked her over 20 times! It's hard on a mommy to do that, but you are right. It is our job as parents! Keep the parenting tips coming!
Yes, I know you are talking to me, I do it everyday!!! And Joslyn is beginning to show me the results of my recent apathy. I was so much better with the boys when they were little, but not with her. She wears me out!!!
Post a Comment