Missy Right Now
Where I'm at right now - having my 2nd long hot bath this week! I usually shower ever day but occassionally I really want to sit in a long hot bath. The last few days have been seriously strange and heavy on top of the fact that I have a sinus infection.
What am I reading - My husband bought me a Joyce Meyer book, "Never Give up." It's pretty good. I have several others that I put on the backburner 'cause my man bought me a prize!:)
What I am watching - Pretty much the only thing I consistently watch is "The Biggest Loser." It is inspiring to me and makes me feel positive emotions. I am trying to stay away from so much drama for a bit...
What I am dreaming about - LIFT.....it seems to be all I think about...in a good way though. I am excited about a new project and I have so many ideas. I am believing for 20 students...believe with me!
What I am listening to - honestly whatever is on Air1. I usually listen to KLOVE and I love that station...but my kids tell me if I am going to work with young people, I need to be more hip....it's not a huge step I know...but I'm trying.
What I am working on - staying organized! I work better when I have compartments in my head...Marriage - Family - MTS - LIFT - Me - VisionPro - my house...and I try to make God be the boss of all of those.
The lessons for me right now - not being afraid....of whatever - getting healthier! - reading my Bible more - keeping my room clean!
What I am afraid of - being ineffective...as a parent....an employee...a Christian.....a wife....a daughter....a friend.
What I am not afraid of - trying!
Parenting Tip
1. Don't give in or up. You are the parent. When my children were young, I prayed everyday, "God please give me the ability to see truth....in their words, their actions, in the people around them....whatever" I truly believe that God answered this prayer with a yes. I certainly don't think that I get it right every single time, but I do believe that my "gut" instinct is usually the right way to go with my children. I do think that I am pretty good at discerning truth in their lives and in the lives of those around my children. So...I say all that to say...don't give up. God made you the parent...you are the "God-training" for your children. If they can't obey you to pick up their toys or to be honorable with their schoolwork, then how will they be able to obey God when He asks them to do something huge for the Kingdom. Submission is a word that has been given a bad rap to me...it is associated with being "run over" or "walked on" and I feel that submission is a way to show honor. It's not always fun or enjoyable but I believe it is one of the most important lessons we can teach our children....because God insists on submission from His children. I am a huge believer in the answer, "because I said so!" That is a Godly lesson. How many things do we have to obey in God's Word that are simply things He commanded. He does not try to convince us that He is right or necessarily explain why He wants us to do something. He simply says...do it because I said so....because you are submissive to me...because you love me. If we allow our children to throw a fit because they did not get what they wanted..and we give in to the tantrum (for candy, for a party, for whatever)....then we send the message that they can do that with God. We do a disservice to them with this. It will ultimately hurt them in their walk with the Father. He will NOT give in and they will be unable to handle not getting their own way. Just my thoughts on this....it does not mean I am right...just what I believe that God has taught me....along the way...through lots of tears and lots of frustration...:) Many people have called me a control freak with my kids...and you know what...I am...I own that...God is a control freak with us....He does not allow other gods....or people to be in control. He is in control. We are his children and He is the model parent. If we parent in a way that sends the message that we are not in control, I believe it creates fear and insecurity. God being in control is something that gives me peace and makes me feel secure....our being in control should train our children for the moment that they become adults and we turn them over to God...I want my kids to understand that God will always demand to be in control and as frustrating as it is sometimes that we don't "get what we want"....the answer is "because He said so." I hope that makes even a little sense! I hope you hear my heart.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
May I use some of your comments on your blog about parenting for the COTR Women's Blog? Let me know...Cheryl
You are an amazing person....is it selfish that I want to be your BEST FRIEND? It's an honor I don't take lightly. I love you and miss you more than you'll ever know!!!
Post a Comment