Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Bully Parent

First off, I'm confessing this here because I really don't think anybody reads my blog so it won't matter...LOL. As this story unfolds, I'm already frustrated because the Sam's lady was so RUDE to me. I tried to blow it off...had some shopping to do today...so I get in my car to go to Kohl's first. I have a shower curtain and a towel to return. I have my receipt and I'm all set. When I get up to the counter, the woman curtly and rudely says, "Sorry I can only give you Kohl's cash back." I'm instantly furious. So I try to calmly explain to her that I have my receipt where I had paid CASH. She is now in defense mode (probably because of me) and tells me rudely that the cash register won't let her do it. So I ask her to get a manager who can get the refund for me so that I can go to another store and get what I need. She then tells me she is the on-duty supervisor. Now I am sure, at this point, that there is smoke coming from my ears. So I again TRY to calmly find out if she has a boss and who that might be. She tells me the manager's name and proceeds to then change the story and tell me that she can now give me $22.00 of my $42.00 refund back but the other $20.00 will have to be on the card. Now I'm super frustrated because this is CRAZY TOWN AS KYLA WOULD SAY! Are you kidding me? You can randomly decide that I can have $22.00 of MY $42.00 CASH refund. Nothing is working so I stand there waiting on her to finish the transaction and I make the comment to her that I think she is stealing from me. I paid in cash, not check....not credit card....not even debit card! She ignores me (understandably so because I am truly M. A. D.! She gives me the partial refund and the card for the other part...I begin to walk away and another rude and bold woman comes up...next in line...and says, "Nice Christmas spirit." OH MY GOSH...I THOUGHT MY HEAD WAS GOING TO EXPLODE! Anybody who knows me probably knows that my facial expressions usually give me away...I am normally a tough talker and don't really do much about stuff...I just get mad and then get over it. But I turned to her and said, "You need to mind your business! The did not just steal money from you!" I KNOW IT WAS WRONG AND OUT OF LINE...I'M SORRY!!!

Oh my, this poor woman was instantly scared, she looked down, eyes wide and said NOTHING. And that was a perfect response. I actually think I wanted to punch her.

Now for those of you who think that this story can't possibly get any worse: My 15 year old daughter was with me. Yes, that's right. The advocate for self-responsibility...the one who will always say, "React on what is right, not what you feel."

Here is the parenting lesson for the day: React based on what you know is right and honorable, not based on what you feel. No matter how much you think you can justify what you feel, DO WHAT IS RIGHT! Your kids are watching!

P.S. Ally, I am truly sorry that I forced you to be a part of this horrible experience. I am so sorry that I embarrassed you and probably made you feel about an inch tall. While I am sure that you are mature enough to realize that my feelings may have been valid, I handled this whole thing without dignity or honor. I always want to model for you that it's okay to not get walked on by others...but NEVER at the expense of your witness. Kingdom behavior is way more important that being right. Please forgive me.

I love you,
Mom

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh Missy! This story cracks me up because you did what I always say I should have done once I've crawled back into car after caving on a return and walking away with a partial refund on a gift card or settling for the now clearance price (even when I have the receipt)!! Don't worry. Ally will turn out ok. I know she will rebound from this most embarrassing situation and be a better person for it! You're a great mom. Your amazing daughter is proof of that!

On a side note...could you come with me to Kohl's tomorrow because I have a dress to return and I really need my money back and don't want to get hosed!